Maneuvering, guiding, and spotting drill collars, pipes, and other tubular tools create hazardous risks to rig personnel. These tools create pinch points and crush points, and it is only rig operators with the right safety tools can avoid injuries. Many cases of injuries to hands, fingers, and arms are reported every year. When properly used, the Stiffy Hand Tool is specially designed to protect rig personnel from such injuries.
Results from various field tests have shown that the Stiffy Hand Tool can help to eliminate hand and finger injuries that occur when rig operators are transferring or handling tubular tools. When properly used, the Stiffy Hand Tool helps to mitigate caught-between and pinching hazards. Instead of placing hands on tools that are moving or are likely to move, rig operators should use this safety tool.
To provide maximum protection, the Stiffy Hand Tool is engineered to deliver the strength required when handling drill collars, pipes, subs, and other drilling tools. This safety tool features a solid fiberglass composite that enhances its strength making it an unmatched choice for drilling site environments. In addition, the neck of this tool has an extended carbon fiber sleeve. The Stiffy Hand Tool is suitable for handling various tools including the following:
- drill collars
- drill pipes
- drilling stabilizers
- crossover subs
- drilling jars
Features of the Stiffy Hand Tool
The Stiffy Hand Tool is specially designed to protect rig operators from hand injuries. When used effectively, this tool protects the hands and fingers of rig personnel when they are handling moving tools or tools that are likely to move. The Stiffy Hand Tool has the following features:
- Its neck is strengthened with a carbon fiber sleeve. This enhancement helps to make the tool a suitable choice for handling heavy drill collars, pipes, and other drilling tools.
- It is designed to enable rig operators to avoid crush points and pinch points when handling moving tools or tools that are likely to move.
- It is specially designed to protect hands, fingers, and arms of rig operators. Its design also helps operators to avoid placing their hands in unsafe zones.
- It is optimized to provide rig personnel with a buffer zone of safety. Its length ensures that operators are working from a safe distance.
- Its design allows operators to retrieve slings of different sizes.
Applications of the Stiffy Hand Tool
Transferring drilling tools from one point to another at a drilling site and loading and unloading trucks exposes rig operators to hazardous risks. Without using safety tools and observing safety measures, these tasks can result in serious injuries. The Stiffy Hand Tool is designed to enable rig operators to perform such tasks with minimum risks. This tool is suitable for a wide range of applications in both offshore and onshore drilling platforms. They include the following:
- Maneuvering suspended drilling tools. The design of SHT2 makes it a suitable choice for maneuvering drill collars, pipes, and other tubular tools.
- Guiding drilling tools. The tool is specially designed to allow rig operators to guide, spot, and land loads more safely. Moreover, the tool enables rig operators to avoid high risk spots when guiding a drilling tool.
- Snagging sling legs. The design of the Stiffy Hand Tool enables operators to snag sling legs and taglines while maintaining a safe distance from hazardous suspended loads. In addition, the tool is suitable for retrieving slings of various sizes.
- Loading and unloading trucks. With the Stiffy Hand Tool, it is easy and safer for rig operators to load and unload trucks and pack tubular tools. It protects fingers, hands, and arms by helping operators to avoid crush points and pinch points.
Safety procedures when using the Stiffy Hand Tool
The Stiffy Hand Tool is designed to provide maximum safety to rig operators by helping them to avoid crush points and pinch points. To avoid accidents, it is important for rig personnel to use the tool properly and as recommended by the manufacturer. For maximum safety, rig operators should observe the following procedures:
- Wear personal protective equipment (PPE). To avoid accidents when loading and unloading trucks, maneuvering tools, or guiding and spotting tools, rig operators should always be in proper PPE.
- Ensure the tool is in good conditions before use. Before using the Stiffy Hand Tool, the rig operator should inspect it to ensure that it is not damaged. Damaged tools should be removed and replaced
- Clean and inspect the Stiffy Hand Tool after use. Before storing the tool, it should be cleaned and inspected. Inspected tools should be stored in a clean and dry environment.
- Avoid misusing the Stiffy Hand Tool. The tool should not be used for other purposes apart from the one it was designed for. It should not be used as a pry bar.
- Use the tool while in correct position and distance from a load. When handling tools using the Stiffy Hand Tool, rig operators should ensure that they are firmly standing with both feet. They should also avoid over-reaching suspended loads.
- Avoid using the tool when unfit. Transferring, guiding, and spotting loads are tasks that require high concentration. Rig operators who are exhausted or under the influence of medication or drugs should not participate in such tasks.
The Stiffy Hand Tool is specially designed to protect the hands of rig operators when they are handling moving tools or tools that are likely to move. This tool ensures that the hands, fingers, and arms of rig operators are safe from potential crush points and pinch points. The tool also allows rig personnel to avoid working under hazardous suspended loads. With the Stiffy Hand Tool, rig operators can maneuver, guide, and spot tools more safely and with less risk of hand injuries. If you are looking for a tool that will help to protect the hands of your rig operators, then the Stiffy Hand Tool is designed to save hands.
Looking for Stiffy Hand Safety Tools?
We are an authorized distributor, carrying the full range of Stiffy products. Click on any of the links bellow to learn more.
Stiffy Hand Tools
- Stiffy SHT2 42" Heavy Duty Safe Hand Tool
- Stiffy SHT2 50" Heavy Duty Safe Hand Tool
- Stiffy SHT2 72" Heavy Duty Safe Hand Tool
Stiffy Snare Tools
- Stiffy 24" Snare Tool Single Release Aluminum
- Stiffy 36" Snare Tool Single Release Aluminum
- Stiffy 48" Snare Tool Single Release Aluminum
- Stiffy 60" Snare Tool Single Release Aluminum
- Stiffy 36" Snare Tool Dual Release Aluminum
- Stiffy 48" Snare Tool Dual Release Aluminum
- Stiffy 60" Snare Tool Dual Release Aluminum